Sunday 27 November 2011

Zambonis, Santa and Treehouses

This was Dylan's first weekend of being on his Biphentin so it was going to be a good marker on its effectiveness for me.

On Saturday it was my husbands annual company charity hockey game held in one of the arenas in Elmira. This was an event I was secretly dreading if last years event was anything to go by!

Last year I never really got a chance to see any of his game as Dylan was completely wild. He wouldn't sit still and he kept trying to run away from me and to run around the entire arena (this arena is Olympic sized so its a lot larger than your average indoor skate rink). This wasn't an easy task for me as my other son, Logan, was only eight months old. Thankfully the wife of one of my husband's co worker's was there to lend a hand on catching Dylan for me. It was a very stressful day for me, again with it being in public, I felt that people must be thinking what an unruly out of control kid I have.

This year I was dreading it because the other wife would not be able to lend a hand if needed as she had just had her first child two weeks prior to the game. Thankfully it was a nice thought when one of our friends decided he wanted to come along and see the game. Dylan ADORES him so it was nice to know I would have that extra pair of hands. Dylan loves watching Zambonis anytime we go to ice rinks so I was hoping that would be a good distraction for him and a good bargaining tool to maybe get him to behave

What a surprise I got...

Dylan was a dream to be with! He stayed sitting on one of the fold down arena seats for a lot of the time and the times he didn't it was just to go to the empty seat directly behind me so I could lift him back over to our row and not to forget he was in complete awe watching the Zambonis! In fact I was a lot busier chasing after Logan (who is now twenty months old) as he wanted to do a little exploring and I even had Dylan offering to get Logan for me. I really cant believe the difference in how he was, yeah he still had a high level of energy but no where near what he was like the previous year!

After the game I wanted to head down to one of our local stores to buy some new Christmas decorations for our tree as last year with an eight month old and new puppy the bottom half of my tree ended up rather bare. We all went down as a family and as we got into the store the kids got to meet Santa. Straight away Dylan starts rhyming off his Christmas list, which basically consists of Transformers, he then got a candy cane and seemed really pleased with himself that he got to tell Santa what he wanted. We did have a couple of very minor tantrums in the store which were resolved very easily so all in all Saturday was a good day.

Today (Sunday) has been a kinda lazy day for us all. We all stayed in apart from my husband heading out a couple times to go get groceries we needed for the start of a new school week. One thing I have noticed since Dylan started his Biphentin is that his attention span is a lot longer than it was previously. Dylan never really had focus so if he was doing an activity it was usually very short lived however now it has totally changed. He recently has started to enjoy playing the learning games on the Internet from the TV channel Treehouse and I can't believe how well he is doing. He is sitting for longer periods of time concentrating on the game he is playing and is extremely motivated and proud of himself for doing so well on them. Another thing I have noticed is if we ask Dylan a question whilst he is doing these games he answers us straight away where as in the past we would have had to say his name SEVERAL times before we even got a partial reply.

All in all its been a good weekend with Dylan and here's hoping it will continue. I'm interested to hear how hes going to get on at school being on the Biphentin as he was unwell last week so this will be his first week of school on it

Fingers crossed they will be as happy as me..

No comments:

Post a Comment